Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

Go down 
+17
CGood
corbyns
chevyrunnin
Stonerracing
shaneaforce
Str8Basher
SquirlyNUTZ
SpeedWorld Staff 2
RTAMAYO86
OldGuydust
Losialltheway1
Mr. RIKA
ginoford
saltydog
noir522
nmdesertracer
Speed world staff1
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ginoford

ginoford

Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 11:41 am

Hope you guys feel better.
Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Pls continue to consider Friday night.racing... It would be great for the upcoming season weekend schedules... Thanks..

And thanks for managing radio gliitching well as of recent.
Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Back to top Go down
saltydog

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

[quote="saltydog"]
OldGuydust wrote:
Fyi; http://www.rctech.net/forum/track-locator-forum/658213-android-app-locate-rc-venues.html[/quote

Have u tried it?

Yes I plan to use it when traveling.. its up to users to add they're favorite venues..
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Speed world staff1 wrote:
Smile El Paso thank you!!!
We had a GREAT turnout today with 69 entries and the last one standing race was a real hoot!!
Chris and his SC 10 2 wheel drive made 32+ minutes as Hector Muela stopped trying to make it over the Ozzy Bark at the moon jump which put him the first looser..

Team Valadez Hobbies sponsored the body for this race and I must say Chris Smith really needs a new body !! Haha...

Chime in please on this topic " should we change the Ozzy jump to a large ( shorter table top)??" It seems to be a bit much for some drivers and we have to really Marshall a bunch of cars at this part of the track..
We need to hear your opinion as it is our desire to make the track better every week .

Again thanks for the great support and we hope all of you had a good time .. We did!!!

I have a lot to say on this topic. I do hope that everyone takes the time to read this, as I will play the "Devil's Advocate" on this subject and try to hightlight both possible arguments and the reasoning behind the choices. LAstly, I will throw in my personal thoughts and then we can go from there. I've read all the concerns and discussed them with people at the track; including the Speedworld staff, so I'm very up to date with this topic. All too often people take words on these forums all too serious, or even to heart; please know that what I say here should in no way be taken offensively...please. I am in no way an expert on this topic, nor am I an expert driver. If you read this all the way through you'll observe that I'm attempting to get at the deeper issue. Here is the issue:
SHOULD THE OZZY JUMP BE ALTERED BECAUSE OF BAD PLACEMENT OR IS IT A SKILL LEVEL ISSUE? I ultimately feel that if you really take a deep hard look at yourself as a driver; you'll find your answer.

First, I will begin with the people who support changing the Ozzy jump. This area was of great concern for me, as I believe there are several factors that play in to the reasons why some want to change that back jump. One reason I've heard is that the jump is hard to see. If you are standing on the far right of the driver's stand yes the initial part of the jump is out of sight, but I can't say that's a good reason for changing the jump. You do get a good line of sight to the area, and I have stood over on that far right end many times without problems. Once I stood in talking distance to the race director's seat, and I had no problems. Just like all tracks...there is a learning curve. For the past two weeks I've been standing on the far left because, for me, that pole in the way of the "S"turns right before the stage is the biggest problem the track has. Therefore, I stand where the pole does not interfere with my line of sight. Either way, the back jump for me is not an issue no matter where I stand. Once, again this is just an opinion based on my experiences.

Second, and probably the biggest overall issue, is driver skill. Drivers who are new and still learning (as we all are still learning) will have a much more difficult time with some of the jumps, etc. The question is, do we change the jump to meet the skill level?
I personally believe there's nothing wrong with the jump - I believe 100% that it's a skill level issue. And the one way to overcome this type of a problem is to work at it. Let me pose a question...If that jump is so bad, why does it not affect all people equally? For sure the Ozzy doesn't affect everyone equally. It seems that the tenure drivers have no problems with that jump. The novice driver definitely would have problems with it. In my eyes, there lies the problem.

So ask yourself, is there really an issue with the Ozzy or is it a driver issue? Everyone started somewhere, and the only way to get better fast is to practice at a challenging track.
The third and probably most viable issue is that some cars are just not capable of completing that jump reliably. Here again, or is this a tuning issue? The only cars that should have any issue or problems clearing the Ozzy are the 2WD's. I did struggle a bit with my old Losi xxx -SCT, but all I did was tighten the slipper a bit and whala, over the jump it went.
My vote is to leave the Ozzy like it is. I love it actually. I love hitting the jump and having my car clear the top by only 2 inches and then coming off the backside ramp at an angle that sets me up for the second step down between the ski jump. Maybe I'm too competitive, or maybe it's something I'm completely missing, but I don't think altering the jump is the answer.

The solution I suggest is to find a way to allow the jump to stay; unchanged, and put an alternate route drivers can select to take. This alternate route should be slower than up and over the Ozzy though. This way drivers who are not comfortable with the Ozzy can opt to take the path of least resistance. Although, it won't truly be the path of least resistance for some of us. lolol Does that make sense??

Anyhow, I've really enjoyed racing with you all, no matter what level you're at. But if you keep practicing, the Ozzy will quickly one of your top sections of the track. Thus far, I'd have to say the best section of the track is the Ski jump. Kudos to the designer on that. Kodos to Ron for thinking to make the landing side wider. All of the Speedworld staff's hard work is showing!!!

Either way, lets find a way to keep the Ozzy in the mix. It's what really sets the track apart. It's going to take a little reflection on what types of driver you are, and be truthful to yourself. Believe me when I tell you this; other drivers know your weaknesses better than you do, so try to look at things optimistically and objectively. So get out there!! PRACTICE! show up on race days! Watch what the fast guys are doing. Ask questions-most people would be ecstatic that you've asked for their opinions.

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Leave the jump and just make a a path around the front were the marshall stands now. So novices can go infront of the jump. i like the jump myself if you take all the hard stuff out its gonna be to easy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I second that Gino. I never did have an issue with making the jump since inception, though find it sometimes short to make a turn is all.. (though not all the time, so it is a practice spot for me)

I love that ski jump too since I learned its secret... (Enjoy)

Biggest thing with that track, like most is trigger control. It is technical!
The slower I went, the faster I was.... Even allowed me to drive around many pile ups..

I'd love practice days either on Thursdays, because that's family day on post, or Sunday's.. would love Friday nigjt races and Saturday practice so football can be enjoyed on Sundays couch potatoe style...

Thanks again for staff running a pretty darn good venue , for El Paso..
Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 pm

nmdesertracer wrote:
Leave the jump and just make a a path around the front were the marshall stands now. So novices can go infront of the jump. i like the jump myself if you take all the hard stuff out its gonna be to easy.

Or how about a miniature golf hole... Drive in and pop out on the bottom past the obstacles but flipped over so it costs ya ... Lol!!!!!! J/k
alien

Back to top Go down
cjchaparr82

cjchaparr82

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Leave it!! Don't want to make the track too easy, then it gets boring...
Back to top Go down
Speed world staff1

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Ok here is a thought , and what I'm contemplating till we get the hobby shop open.

Friday nite races electric only

Saturday open practice all classes

Sunday races electric and nitro..

Joey
Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Speed world staff1 wrote:
Ok here is a thought , and what I'm contemplating till we get the hobby shop open.

Joey

Very interesting....... cheers

Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: cool a shop   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:19 pm

I think it would be great to have a shop especially carrying ae parts, for that quick fix....

Kudos....

But Damn, as I look at other tracks across the state where I will be visiting, they charge more for less amenities and no clay... Makes me wonder if our favorite track is making enough to stay open!??!
I don't want the track to go anywhere! Hell I've saved $ recently, simply by not having to replace broken parts from running a jankey track...

Whatever staff decides to settle on for the purpose of making business work to keep our track open I'm game.

Hooah!

Back to top Go down
cjchaparr82

cjchaparr82

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Joey

Thats a good idea!!
Back to top Go down
RTAMAYO86

RTAMAYO86

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Ok, I agree with Gino that the better you set up and the better skills you have the easier it
is to clear the Ozzy blindfolded. I have not been a serious racer at all any time but on my
journey to the east side my take on this was changed and my way of thinking was shaken, because it is true we spend quite a bit even on making it to the track and the race fee. I have not been to the track with a competitive vehicle yet. I have had trouble clearing the Ozzy because of not so good cars and 2wd but I was doing great on the Ozzy when I stood on the far left side with a brushless slash 2wd. And for me it was easier when it is in sight.

I have an option that may make the less experienced drivers want to keep it.
Let's put fastest to slowest drivers from far right to far left.
Sounds like something you want to do?

NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYBODY
but come on we all know who the fast guys are.

I even went to standing close to the lounge area for the sake of the Ozzy jump but there is something there that covers the ski jump and more to that side.

I do like the challenge it puts to the mix.

Thanks for reading another long post.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rob86
Stonerracing

Stonerracing

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I am not a huge fan of the "OZZY" jump. Not because it is challenging, but because it takes away from the flow of the track and racing. In qualifying it's not a big deal, during the Mains it can cause a log jam if you or other cars get turned over especially on the start. Corner marshals have to wait for the area to clear before flipping a car over because of safety concerns.

If it was a basher track and not a track where actual races were to be held - I'd be all for it. But I just honestly think it takes away from the flow of racing.

I'm fine either way. Just my $0.02
Back to top Go down
http://www.riogranderacers.com
Stonerracing

Stonerracing

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I like the idea of Friday night electric. What time will races take place on Sunday if this schedule is adopted?
Back to top Go down
RTAMAYO86

RTAMAYO86

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

I changed my mind, thanks Jay.

He is right about bashing track and it is a tough spot for corners.
I looked up official ROAR races and most available vids on youtube show super high speed tracks with no huge jumps.

But we are not racing as roar but we do not like the term bashing for what we are doing.
It is in the middle of both.

I would love to have a ramp similar to the skateboard but much smaller before the wall ride with a mud pit in between but that is never going to happen so whatever it is, take it as a challenge and see what you can do to be faster around the track.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rob86
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am

Tons of great conversation as well as opinions. I'm afraid I have to disagree with the fact that the Ozzy could be put in a "basher" category. I see and understand the idea that is trying to be made, but I cannot and do not see the Ozzy as a basher (or half -basher) jump and here's why.

1) About 90% of the customers who show up at Speedworld are 70% veterans and 20% newbies. Of the 70%; Associated, Losi, Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, Schumacher, etc could never be considered a basher's car. The basher vehicles I see are the Traxxas type vehicles. I still have a Traxxas Slash Ultimate which my wife drives, so I'm not dogging Traxxas. But the last 20% is made up of these types of vehicles. And even some of those people are serious racers. Traxxas parts can be found everywhere, and they are popular beginner vehicles.

2) Most of the fast guys from Hal's and around the area are doing well and going fast at Speedworld with no complaints.

I can understand where you guys are coming from. If not approached correctly; with a bad set up, the Ozzy can really upset a car and take the driver's confidence away. I do see this, so why can't we simply make a alternate route? We should meet in the middle somewhere; just taking the jump out isn't the answer, as some love it. So it's ok to balance on the fence when it comes to deciding if you like the jump or not. My vote is leave it and create a relief passage for people to take as an alternate route. If we notice that no one is going over the Ozzy, then we can take the Ozzy out eventually and add something more fitting for everyone.

If you'd like to see some crazy tracks; I don't have the web site off hand, but do a google search for: neobuggy and see what comes up. These neobuggy videos are awesome; some of the best racing I've ever seen, and although they may not have a jump like the Ozzy they do have some serious quads and triples that will blow your mind. Check'em out on youtube. My final thoughts... why follow like a bunch of lemmings and do what everyone else is doing?
Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

I agree with Gino! Gino I sent the DEX 410's money yesterday the PM's on here stick in the outbox for some reason and never get sent.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 am

Miniature golf!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Stonerracing

Stonerracing

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I didn't call the OZZY jump a basher track jump. I said I don't think it'd even be a question if it was at basher track. I think it's coming into question because Joey wants to have a facility that rivals other great venues. With the effort and funds spent to secure a track like Speedworld, I know that Joey ulitimately would like to hold some national caliber events at the location.

I personally have taken a look around the country at pictures and videos of the most successful indoor tracks. I have also looked at what venues have held recent large scale events such as the ROAR Nats, etc.. Tracks like OCRC, West Coast RC Raceway lead the way in California. I stop in at Competition Hobbies in Tucson every time I am in Tucson. It is the closest indoor facility that holds large scale events such as the Short Course Showdown Series. All of these tracks flow. There are some fairly large crossover jumps and what not. But, they flow - there is no area in the track where people seem to get hung up.

If there was room on the backside of OZZY for the corner marshals to stand, I think two marshals could have a better chance to tag team the jump and cover both sides of it much easier.

Like I said, It doesn't matter to me either way. I enjoy the track.
Back to top Go down
OldGuydust

OldGuydust

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

If Seth and Smitty can put a truggy in the ceiling, it must be an obstacle even a mere mortal can overcome.
!

Back to top Go down
Speed world staff1

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Actually I agree with Jay that the flow of the up ramp to the stage and the Ozzy jump seems to impede the flow of this section of the track.
I also agree with Gino in the most drivers have become comfortable with clearing Ozzy .

These discussions about the track are exactly what is needed to help El Paso racing step up to the high levels found in other such as Tucson, Phoenix , Albuquerque, and California.

I will be making changes to the stage area of Speed World and also some other changes to help increase the speed and flow without shortening lap times by much. SOON!!!

Thanks for the input from everyone !!

Remember Rome was not built in a day !

My promise to racers is that we will always listen and try our best to keep going forward with improvements as needed ,and all your thoughts and comments will be heard.
We can't please everyone but we will try to!!!
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 am

Stonerracing wrote:
I didn't call the OZZY jump a basher track jump. I said I don't think it'd even be a question if it was at basher track. I think it's coming into question because Joey wants to have a facility that rivals other great venues. With the effort and funds spent to secure a track like Speedworld, I know that Joey ulitimately would like to hold some national caliber events at the location.

I personally have taken a look around the country at pictures and videos of the most successful indoor tracks. I have also looked at what venues have held recent large scale events such as the ROAR Nats, etc.. Tracks like OCRC, West Coast RC Raceway lead the way in California. I stop in at Competition Hobbies in Tucson every time I am in Tucson. It is the closest indoor facility that holds large scale events such as the Short Course Showdown Series. All of these tracks flow. There are some fairly large crossover jumps and what not. But, they flow - there is no area in the track where people seem to get hung up.

If there was room on the backside of OZZY for the corner marshals to stand, I think two marshals could have a better chance to tag team the jump and cover both sides of it much easier.

Like I said, It doesn't matter to me either way. I enjoy the track.

Jay - I totally agree with you for the most part. I also understand that you were not calling the Ozzy a basher jump, but I do see what you are getting at. I was watching some of the Neobuggy races yesterday, the one which Tebow (however he spells his name) won in 8th nitro buggy. I can across a video of another raced which was linked to that video. I'm currently trying to remember what the name of that video was, and I'm sure I'll find it again. Once I find it, I'll post the link here. Anyhow, in this video there is a jump that is retarded. upon entry, the driver will climb at least 12 feet at what looks like about a 45 Degree angle going up. The top has a 5 foot table top. The down side is even crazier! after the top table, it drops off about 4 feet almost straight down, then there's another table top, and it drops off again another 4 feet with a table again. It does this all the way down. There is a point where the camera man takes a shopt from the groud up from the landing side of this monster, and these buggies are clearing at least 30ft of jump from the top to bottom. You can also see the people who are very uncomfortable with the jump bouncing all over the table top landings on the down side. We're lucky we don't have a jump like this at Speedworld or Hal's; that would mean tons of broken parts etc. lolol I'll try my best to find that vid - it's crazy.

One the other hand, the neobuggy videos all present tracks which look like miniature motocross tracks with large triples and doubles. These tracks attract hundreds of racers.

Lastly, the way I gauge a track is by how man parts are being broken on a regular basis. I have yet to break one single part at Speedworld. I do know of some who have broken chassis etc, but it was a one time deal. Jeseh split his chassis in two on the ski jump, and I believe Ray did something like that as well. These people are now doing just fine. Sometimes some of us have misjudged the Ozzy and have come off, thankfully there has been a marshal there to catch most of us.

Overall, I agree with most of what's been said here; I just don't want to get rid of the Ozzy. I like that jump. I love the flow of the track as it is. In my Opinion it flows great. So untilmately I'm down for the golf hole idea...lololol

Unfortunately I will not be attending any races this weekend. I have a gig in Dell City Sat from 1-5pm I'm going to try and make it over to Speedworld and run whatever mains I can if possible. So good luck to all the racers and have a blast!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed World September Schedule   Speed World September Schedule - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next