Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

What determines an "EXPERT" class?

Go down 
+5
DesertRacer56
nmdesertracer
RP Bandit
ExcelMarketTX
ginoford
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ginoford

ginoford

What determines an "EXPERT" class? Empty
PostSubject: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I had a question pop up in my noggin recently; only because I've noticed people scooting around in all the classes at SW every now and then. As I thought about things further, I realized that there are no real parameters to determine who ends up in Expert, Sportsman, or Novice. Initially, having classes split up by driver ability is great, sometimes; well most-times.

I have enjoyed racing classes that are created by driver experience and ability, but It's how these classes are formed that is the issue. I've heard everything from, "I'm afraid" to "I just don't want to" as reasons for not jumping up in class. There are some of you who really would benefit from driving with an expert class, and there are some that are truly novice. I really do not see a reason for having a novice racer race in an expert class. I don't believe I need to get into why they shouldn't as I believe the reasons should be very apparent.
But what are the determining factors at play when deciding what level you at? When a racer is trying to decide what class to enter, what parameters should he/she use as a governing rule which ends with entering as a novice, sportsman, or expert? I guess anyone could enter any race, but should this be determined by the racer? I mean, what is the rule of thumb here?

Just wanted to know your thoughts here? I guess it all depends on how you view success. If to you success is winning most races you enter - and you do, then you should move up a class. If you are a young new racer or a novice, you should probably NOT enter into a EXPERT or PRO class. If you are just happy as can be because you finished ahead of that certain someone who is pretty fast, yet you're not really winning very often then you are probably right where you need to be. If you guage your driving based off of another driver who competes in the middle of the pack - then I'd say that's where you need to be.

This topic is meant for common conversation; just for fun. Your comments will be appreciated...
Back to top Go down
ExcelMarketTX
Admin
ExcelMarketTX

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Gino this is a great topic!

At bobby's track the "Expert/Intermediate" Driver were doing 13-15 laps in a 5 min heat. If you were racing with the kids and you did 13+ laps, you were bumped up to your appropriate class. I don't think there is a better way to gauge the classes.

EG:

Novice: Drivers turning 0-10 laps in a 5min heat
Sportsman: Drivers turning 10-12 laps in a 5min heat
Expert: Drivers turning 13+ laps in a 5min heat

Example for reference. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
http://ChooseExcel.com
RP Bandit
RP Bandit

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 4:25 pm

I've never like the different skill classifications that some tracks use. R/C racing and BMX are pretty much the only form of racing that uses them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The B C and D mains are for the different drivers skills classification. The A-main qualifiers are the "expert" drivers. The B C and D qualifers can be considered "sportsman, intermediate or whatever makes you feel better. There should be only one novice class and when they turn a certain amount of laps they should move up.

There should never be a "Pro" class. Last time I checked no one is making a living at R/C in El Paso.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raceparty.net
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Both of you guys have good points. I've enjoyed the way the races are run at Hal's and at Speed World. Hal's does it without splitting up the classes into categories, and SW does split up classes. I must first say that Hal's being a larger track does make it much easier to let all levels of drivers race on the same track. At SW the track is much tighter, and having drivers of varied skill levels would be dangerous. It is an interesting topic, and I will be the 1st to admit I like the classes split up into abilities. If any of you had watched the 8 scale buggy class run at SW two weeks ago you'd have gone nuts. Wil and I were running circles around people. As the faster drivers were maneuvering slower traffic; the slower drivers would begin to drive wayyy above their heads. They were actually putting corner marshals in danger. It looked like a game of asteroids or something like that. If we'd of split the classes it definitely would've been less dangerous. But I have to admit it was super fun driving through all that craziness!! hahahahah

I still pick the regulating of driver ability overall...

Thanks for your replies.
Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 pm

I like the classes split up. But it was fun to race with my youngest boy in 2wd buggy. That was the first time we have ever raced together in a class. the 1/8th scale race was wild heh.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
DesertRacer56

DesertRacer56

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Well if you think about it and we do split classes up then classes will be smaller. I understand ur point on how it would be nice to get some of the sketchy drivers in a different class. But just think back to when you where starting. U got better driving with faster people. Also just like in the other post where Robert was talking about track/race etiquette I know i learned from watching the experts when they drive, and when they take someone out they wait for them because it was their fault. Even at times where it can be very frustrating we still have to remember that they are lower leveled drivers and with them driving with faster and better people they to will be fast and better and that's just more fun competition. Plus i know you guys like the big battles like There gos Geno and Hector down the front straight and its a big awesome battle but what i like during a race is passing the slow people. Because it puts more of a challenge on you and makes u a better driver.
Back to top Go down
Some87

Some87

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am

How we used to do it at the las cruces track was say you we're new at driving you would enter the novice class. The only way you could make it to sportsman was to win 3 races in a row and then they would let you chose to stay in novice or move up if you liked. But if you stayed in novice and had more than 5 wins in a row you had to move up because it was unfair to the other people in that class. I have not done that much racing in my life due to money and tracks getting shut down but I know at my skill level in this area I should be in expert but out of town like Tucson or abq ill drop down to sportsman.
Back to top Go down
cjchaparr82

cjchaparr82

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am

Hey Gino, you and Bennett weren't the only ones in that 8th scale class! I had to start way in the back i think 11th or 12th position due to scoring issues and I worked my way up to 4th! So don't get too comfortable up there I know there are some other drivers also who are getting better in the expert classes! Andrew, Sergio Valadez and Chiudoini (aka Jabronie) are all stepping up their games. And I'm sure there are more guys who are looking to get better and better every time they go out there.

My 2 Cents I think it is good to split the classes. It gives you something to work towards while still being in a class with similar abilities. Then when you feel comfortable you can move up to the next class. Also, I think it is good to have some top "local" drivers like Hector, Gino, Fast Eddie, Efren etc. It gives you a goal to shoot for so you can get better. You don't know how many times I have heard someone say they are going after Hector yet he still sits atop the mountain!

In that regard my goal was to get as good as Alex Ortega when he was here and it made me a better driver to try and get to his level. And he had a great attitude about it even giving me tips on how to be a better driver. Miss that guy!! Hmm...

Back to top Go down
saltydog

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 pm

I like the split classes when there are a lot of racers. Ok with combining when there are few. Being a sportsman and average driver it becomes frustrating having to move over for the faster drivers. Sometimes we get in there way trying to do so. Know its for fun but we all want to compete. Got smoked at hals everytime I went. Usually hoping for a 5th or 6th there if that
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:39 pm

cjchaparr82 wrote:
Hey Gino, you and Bennett weren't the only ones in that 8th scale class! I had to start way in the back i think 11th or 12th position due to scoring issues and I worked my way up to 4th! So don't get too comfortable up there I know there are some other drivers also who are getting better in the expert classes! Andrew, Sergio Valadez and Chiudoini (aka Jabronie) are all stepping up their games. And I'm sure there are more guys who are looking to get better and better every time they go out there.

My :.02$: I think it is good to split the classes. It gives you something to work towards while still being in a class with similar abilities. Then when you feel comfortable you can move up to the next class. Also, I think it is good to have some top "local" drivers like Hector, Gino, Fast Eddie, Efren etc. It gives you a goal to shoot for so you can get better. You don't know how many times I have heard someone say they are going after Hector yet he still sits atop the mountain!

In that regard my goal was to get as good as Alex Ortega when he was here and it made me a better driver to try and get to his level. And he had a great attitude about it even giving me tips on how to be a better driver. Miss that guy!! Hmm...

Chris - you're right. I was not the only one in that class. I'm just explaining what it was like. In an effort to not make my posts terribly long I only used a few names. I'd also like to add that I feel that I help out 99% of the racers. I share all the tricks and techniques that I can. I've also noticed talent in several drivers and I have approached them and thanked them for their dedication in pursuit of good driving skills. Yes there are sooo many people stepping up their game, but I'm never complacent. I'm always trying new things as I'm chasing other drivers as well.

As Caleb stated previously, classes are small when we split things up. That's also true, and merging classes makes everyone a better driver. That MAY be true. I've heard that stement 1000 times that racing with drivers faster than you will make you a better driver, but I'm not quite sure it makes the fast guys any better. Before I go further, I'm not stating I agree or disagree, and until there's an extensive research project done in this area there is NO way for anyone to make these assumptions. But I like to play the Devil's advocate on many topics, and this being one.

I will admit that while driving that 8th scale main was freaking wild crazy insane fun! But I would not want to do it again. Somehow I made it through all the madness, but what if I had been taken out by a novice's wild choice to smash the trigger, and like a missile, impact my car on another section of the track. I'd be pretty peaved! Luckily, this didn't happen to me. Chances are, if I was to race that same race over again with the same group, there'd be many different outcomes. But I would not do it again in an effort to preserve my car.

I really enjoy racing with all of you guys. I enjoy it more when there's more racers in each class. It's also very entertaining. In the end, I do believe that there should be some filter when it comes to allowing people to run whatever class they'd like. I hope you're bringing your 8 scale buggies this Sat...It's on!!!!!! lololo
Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

ginoford wrote:
I've also noticed talent in several drivers and I have approached them and thanked them for their dedication in pursuit of good driving skills.
I never got a Thanks You Gino! haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
rickplaysbass

rickplaysbass

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Having been a marshall for that 1/8 buggy race. HOLY COW!!!! What a Face Shocked What a Face

That was pure madness out there.

On to the "classes" though. I personally think that you should be responsible for what class you start in. Your run times should determine your class the next week. If you're in one class and running times to be competitive with the next higher class you should get bumped.

On the same note, if you're struggling to make the middle of the pack in your class you should get bumped down a class.

There's some in the Sportsman class that are running times that can hang with the experts, maybe not win but definitely hang. There's also some that are consistently towards the bottom of the expert classes.

I think these mandatory moves would make the classes much tighter for both classes. This would result in overall better competition per race and could help to speed up the process as it would hopefully keep everyone on the same lap, making race transitions smoother.

Not that I'm an expert on any of this but it's just a thought that has been running through my mind since I started going out to SW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/rickplaysbass
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am

nmdesertracer wrote:
ginoford wrote:
I've also noticed talent in several drivers and I have approached them and thanked them for their dedication in pursuit of good driving skills.
I never got a Thanks You Gino! haha

Robert.....hahahahahah. Get yourselves back down here...it's not the same without you guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What determines an "EXPERT" class?   What determines an "EXPERT" class? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What determines an "EXPERT" class?
Page 1 of 1