Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class

Go down 
+4
ginoford
Str8Basher
RP Bandit
Argyle43
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Argyle43

Argyle43

Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class Empty
PostSubject: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 am

Hey guys,

We are going to start up a spec/blinky 17.5 class at Speed World for the 2wd sc trucks. The idea is to tighten up the competition and make the trucks a bit easier to handle for novice/beginners. If there is enough participation we may move from the novice/sportsman/expert division of 2wd classes to 17.5/13.5/mod divisions. Joey says we can run as soon as we have 5 trucks. Jorge from Team Valadez says he can order a case of spec motors at a discount and sell the motors to racers at his cost. Let me know what you think, and if you have a 17.5 motor and ESC with spec/blinky capability and want to run this Wednesday post on here so we can get this class rolling. Thanks CB43
Back to top Go down
RP Bandit
RP Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 am

This is a great idea, that's the way most tracks break down classes and this will avoid the bracket hugging crying that is going on.

The blinky class will be very competitve and make for some very close racing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raceparty.net
Str8Basher

Str8Basher

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

So Im running a 13.5 Tekin RS system. Does this mean I would now run in a 13.5 class instead of sportsman? Just checking on what class Im going to be running in now. Thanks for the response.

Smitty
Back to top Go down
Argyle43

Argyle43

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Smitty,

We are going to try to get the 17.5 spec class going first and see what kind of response we get. So far we have Gino, Andre and me for 17.5. It may take a few races before we have enough people to do two spec classes. If you are interested in running either 17.5 or 13.5 spec please post here or on the SW facebook page so we have some idea what to expect, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Str8Basher

Str8Basher

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I'll play with the 13.5 crew
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm ALL over this! Let me explain this further for those who are a little cornfused - lol.

Running a spec class such as 17.5/13.5 BLINKY will level the power on the cars, not allowing the expert drivers to get away as quickly. SOme Electronic Speed Controls (ESC's) allow a programmable mode called "BLINKY" mode. This mode tells the race director that you have added no timing, boost, or turbo. The idea is to take out or LEVEL the many variables and settings of the electronics; rendering the car in a "stock" setting per say. By having a BLINKY class, essentially all the cars are electrically as even as possible. The way to win is through car setup and driving style. Passing can be difficult because the burst and speed is limited. Racing will be very very tight.

Another positive aspect of running BLINKY or SPEC is that it will merge most classes into one. There will no longer be Expert/Sportsman/Novice classes. There is only Spec 17.5 class and Spec 13.5 class. Again, as a reminder, we're just starting out with a 17.5 class for now. If we have growth and support in the 17.5 class; we will put together a 13.5 SPEC class, but again, for now, we're starting with 17.5.

The only difference between the 17.5 spec class and the 13.5 spec class is the KV (Motor Turn). A 17.5 turn motor will be slightly slower than a 13.5 motor, and will be much easier for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Why would anyone want to race this class?

Well there are several reasons. First, it levels the entire field making winning a possibility for almost everyone. It truly comes down to set up and driving style - nothing more! It's cheap to get into, and most of your RTR's that are currently selling come ready to race with a 17.5 motor. This will make it super easy for a newcomer to jump right into these class types. So no more expensive exchanges, or selling off your old RTR stuff that nobody seems to want. TO replace RTR equipment can and usually is fairly inexpensive. Usually $70 bucks can get you a decent ESC and motor as opposed to $300-$350 for a full blown race set up. Go check out our local hobby shops if you're interested. I'm sure they can help you with this.

Another reason to run a spec class is that you can travel just about anywhere and compete in this class. Most tracks around the country run a spec 17.5 and 13.5 class in 2WD SCT and Buggy. You can travel to Albuquerque, AZ, California, etc and jump right into one of these classes. Also this class will make you a better driver quick.

So what class do I choose and why?

It's really pretty simple - a 17.5 spec class will be a little slower, and easier to drive. A 13.5 class will be a little quicker. SO you'd choose a class based on where you're comfortable. A novice may wish to run in the 17.5 class simply because this is the class that is easiest to drive and will be turning slower lap times. However, here's where the awesome part comes in; the racing in each class is equally hard and equally competitive! The racing between drivers will be no less difficult in 17.5 classes. Actually the opposite may be realized. It's quite possible that racing will be even closer in a 17.5 class. Again, we're starting ONLY with 17.5 for the moment.

When will these changes be made?

We need 5 people to start a class. As it currently stands, it looks as if we'll have at least 5 by this Wed. night. Several of us have already committed to this class. We've decided to start with 17.5 class only; just for the sake of getting everyone familiar with the class and getting people up and running. For those of you who still wish to race in an open (unlimited motor) class can still race in an open class. We are going to have to have the track director's on board as well. We're going to have to ask all race directors to become familiar with the BLINKY classes, and cars will have to be inspected for adherence to rules.

People who race the SPEC class and don't qualify well will end up running a B-Main (more stick time). And depending on how many entries we have, a person can make it up into the A-Main by finishing first or second in the b=main. It's going to be fun.

We wholeheartedly believe that a spec class will grow the attendance, and also provide races that are more equalized, competitive, and most importantly...FUN for everyone. Most of us feel that anyone who decided to race in the spec class will really enjoy the new level of competition it brings. I think we're going to hear a lot of cheering and screaming with this new wave of changes, and I believe it's going to be healthy for the sport we all love so much. I will also speed the race program up tremendously, and keep the trashing posts to a minimum.

If you're interested - make your voice heard here and also go review your ESC owner's manuals for setting options. I know I'll have to read my manuals as I do not know how to set my ESC to BLINKY mode, for this is new to all of us I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to this class, and I feel that's it's a step in the correct direction and will allow people to be more competitive. So get ready...17.5 SPEC is coming!!!!! It's going to take nerves of steel, practice, and set up to win!

Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:27 pm

As I was working on this post - I noticed a few other posts and wanted to comment on those.

There are a few of us that are going to start the 17.5, but if there's already a group which can run 13.5 lets do it. I already have the 13.5 in my arsenal, so I'm ready to jump into whatever class takes off.

We felt that the 17.5 would be easier to start because the cars are slower and as I stated earlier, RTR's can be purchased complete with the 17.5 motors. So for now, Curt, myself, and a few others will be in the 17.5.
Back to top Go down
Billy McDonald

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Like the way this is going. Just looked at my sons RTR buggy it comes with the 13.5 motor. My biggest concern is that he is still using the esc that came with the buggy, is there a way for me to determine that his ESC will allow him into this class of racing?

I love this idea. Seems like it is set up somewhat like we use to run in Cruces. Stock class vs modified. 20 turn motors for stock and everything else was modified. No sportsman or expert classes that way.

edit: Also I know at this point this is primarly dealing with the Short course stuff, but it never hurts to get an idea about the future.
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Billy - whatever buggy your son has; I'm sure there's a way to find out. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not at all familiar with any RTR electronics. Call the hobby shop where the vehicle was purchased, or google it. It's my understanding that most of these RTR ESC do not have the options to add timing, boost, or turbo, so my thoughts are run it in this class.

Furthermore, our initial reactions have been really positive and supportive from what we've seen here and heard through "shop talk" at the track. I'm not sure how fast the paradigm will shift, yet it seems like most are interested. The problem is going to get all classes to adhere - 2WD Buggies and 2WD SCT's.

I'm sure we'll have much more to say this Wed and into this weekend. I will be racing Wed, but I will not be racing this Sat because my wife's triathlon. I'm going to support here this weekend, so IF I can make it Sat I will, but it's a big IF right now.

Keep the opinions coming - it really helps us decide the future of this sport, and thanks for chiming in!
Back to top Go down
Billy McDonald

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Yea from everything I read on his when we got it there is no boost or advanced timing. Just a beginners mode and normal mode to it. Will look into it further as we come closer to making this a reality =)

Thanks Gino

Well from what I was able to turn up the
MSC540BL-S Sensored ESC which is what comes with the losi RTR Buggy and ST has no advanced timing and is acceptable to be used in the "blinky" class, even though it has no led lights so it can't actually blink. Sigh of relief here didn't want to try and convince the better half that we needed a new esc for the kiddo already. Still trying to get her to allow me to order my ST hehe.

Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 am

Great News Billy and I'm sure what you've learned is correct. Most of the RTR ESC's aren't tunable; making it much easier for someone to jump right into any of these classes. I'm also thrilled that you do not, in fact, have to buy another ESC.

For those of you reading this, please do some research on whatever ESC you have currently installed. As Billy has mentioned earlier; even though his ESC has no LED lights to show the race director "BLINKY" mode; it's our understanding that most RTR ESC will be able to run in these spec classes.

So far this idea is really stirring up excitement, and I will admit that I'm super excited to be a part of this and to race with more of you.

We were trying to get this class going for this Wed. Night Quickie, but I'm not too sure this will happen. For sure by next Wed we'll have this class up and running, but for this Wed, we'll have to see what happens. I'm also hearing a lot of people saying that they are ready for the 13.5 class, so please bare with us during this transitional period, and rest assured that spec classes are on their way.

See you guys at the WoO race tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 am

Last night at the WoO show, I ran into a few people who race at SW. Everyone seems to be liking the idea of the 17.5 class. I had the opportunity to chat with the Sanders crew and although they probably will not be ready for the 17.5 class tonight; Shawn did express that he's really interested, and will probably be running this class next week. It will take some time to get this class on it's feet.

I will be there tonight as soon as I can, and will be soldering in the 17.5 into my 2WD. It's going to be super fun as I think we may actually have a class for tonight.
Back to top Go down
58VeeDub

58VeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

As much as I'd like to be apart of this class, its just not feasible for me to buy another motor just cuz. So going to shelve the 22sct

Thanks
Bobby
Back to top Go down
cgallegos881

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

So if I have a 10.5, I should be racing in the open class???
Back to top Go down
Argyle43

Argyle43

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 pm

We are going to try the spec class tonight if we have enough participants, no need to buy another motor if you are not interested. All sc trucks will be accommodated tonight in their respective divisions novice/sportsman/expert depending on how many show up.
Back to top Go down
Str8Basher

Str8Basher

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 pm

How is all of this going to happen tonight guys? First you have your 2wd N, SP, & E, as well as 4x4 N, SP, & E. This takes us to about 1030 to 11 every Wed. Now you are trying to have a open buggy and stadium and a 17.5 class. This looks busy as hell and I dont see how any of us are suppose to function the next day for those who have to work. I truly do not see us leaving until midnight. Can someone clearify all of this?

Thanks guys,

Smitty
Back to top Go down
58VeeDub

58VeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Im probably not gonna go tonight I dont have a 17.5t motor and im not gonna go buy one just cuz there's a new class ill just run at hals and just stay home on Wednesdays
Back to top Go down
Argyle43

Argyle43

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

I guess I'm not being clear, you do not need a 17.5 motor to run tonight. You can run any motor you want and run the class you normally run on Wednesday. If you are interested in running the 17.5 spec class, it might be available tonight depending on how many people show up with the spec setup. Is anybody else having trouble following this thread?
Back to top Go down
58VeeDub

58VeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm

It just sux! I just bought a new motor so I can run at sw now I have to go and buy another motor just cuz 1 person is un happy and there is now a new class. Its not that I cant buy a new motor, I just wont. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. See you guys tonight then thanks for the clarification Curt on tonight.
Back to top Go down
RP Bandit
RP Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:29 pm

58VeeDub wrote:
It just sux! I just bought a new motor so I can run at sw now I have to go and buy another motor just cuz 1 person is un happy and there is now a new class. Its not that I cant buy a new motor, I just wont. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. See you guys tonight then thanks for the clarification Curt on tonight.

I don't think it's cuz one person isn't happy it's to help grow the hobby and I personally feel it's going to help car counts.

You don't have to run in the 17.5, 13.5 or open class. Pick a class your motor falls into and run that class. I'd pick the class all the fast guys are in, but that's just me.

This is the format most successful race programs have gone to and I think Speed World is moving in the right direction with this.

Please be positive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raceparty.net
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

[quote="58VeeDub"]It just sux! I just bought a new motor so I can run at sw now I have to go and buy another motor just cuz 1 person is un happy and there is now a new class. Its not that I cant buy a new motor, I just wont. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. See you guys tonight then thanks for the clarification Curt on tonight.

I agree with Bobby. NOTHING is changing...at all, so please do not stop racing with us. We enjoy every person who races and every person who races is important to this hobby and its survival. Just because we're starting a 17.5 does not mean that all other classes are done for. We still ran the entire original program at SW last night. There were only two of us who ran the Spec "Blinky" 17.5. Since Curt and I were the only two running this class; the decision was made to keep us in the expert class. This will probably continue to occur until the 17.5 class grows.

I'd like to add that running the 17.5 blinky was freaking awesome! I enjoyed it tremendously. These motors produce great torque, but you really could feel the power difference between the 10.5 and the 17.5; especially on the top speed. I HIGHLY recommend this class. The power curve was so linear that you could pin the throttle through the turns an not spin out. This is proof that slower can be faster! Can't wait for more of you to jump into this class.

I also had an epiphany last night. Those of you still deciding if you want to run this spec class, maybe this will help sway your decision. By running spec, I realized how important the set up really is. I did understand from the get go that set up would be important, but it is everything in this class. Therefore Spec WILL teach you how to tune your car, and quickly too. You've got to play with gear ratios, shock positions, ackerman, tires, slippers; you really become very familiar with your cars abilities. Another up side is that you really do find the fastest way around the track, and you can apply this to your other cars, but don't let the idea of 17.5 fool you though - the cars are still plenty fast, just lack a bit of top speed. In other words you're using more like 90% of your throttle as opposed to 40% of your throttle throughout the track. All I can say is I'm hooked!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Speed world staff1

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 6:49 pm

To all ,
This new class is just that a new class.
We will still run a open class in Short Course for the racers that don't want to make the change to 17.5 ..
We will not destroy the Expert class and as it has been it will remain "open motor rule."

The 17.5 class will be called exactly that , without having sportsman or expert attached .

So our program will be
Short course 2wd
NOVICE OPEN
SPORTSMAN OPEN
EXPERT OPEN
17.5 blinky

4wd
Will remain the same as it has been
Back to top Go down
58VeeDub

58VeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks Joey, for the clarification on all the classes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class   Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wednesday night quickie 17.5 short course 2wd spec class
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: El Paso RC :: Official Forum Sponsors :: Speed World Indoor RC Racing-
Jump to: