Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

Newbie getting into R/C, need help

Go down 
+2
Some87
gj47479
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gj47479

Newbie getting into R/C, need help Empty
PostSubject: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 am

Hi folks I am completely new in the sport of RC racing! I am needing some advice on what class and what type of RC to start with ....of course ill be doing the off road racing here in El Paso. Where do I start??
Back to top Go down
Some87

Some87

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 am

First off start by finding a hobby shop. Team Valadez is where I go. For a class start off with short course.
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 am

First off let me say welcome to one of the greatest funnest hobbies there is!! I look forward to meeting you at the local tracks.

To begin, there is no simple answer to your question. There are too many types of RC vehicles out there to say there is one BEST option for newbies. What I can do is help you to narrow your options and be a smart buyer.

Things to ask yourself before you get into a kit:

1) How much money can I invest, and will I race or bash?

There are kits out there that are great and kind on your bank account. some kits are geared toward bashers. Bashers are hobbyists who prefer to stay out of competition and prefer to drop by the local sand dunes or park and just drive their cars. The first thing you must do is decide whether or not you'll be racing often. It's difficult to find a vehicle that can support both. Traxxas Slash is a great starting point for basher/racers. You can get kits priced well, and parts are a dime a dozen. Traxxas is primarily responsible for reigniting the RC scene with it's lineup of Slash 2WD and 4x4 trucks. These kits allowed the average RC enthusiast to bash and race. At the local tracks there are drivers using the Slash and doing just fine. The kits come with just about everything you'd need to get started: battery, radio, truck ready to run. In the end I would rate the Traxxas Slash as a basher vehicle over all..., not that it cannot be raced without success though.

2) What class of vehicle are you mostly interested in?

There is an endless selection of RC cars and trucks to choose from, but you'll need to narrow your choices down further. If you're planning on racing there are some basic vehicle traits you'd need to know about. The most popular off road vehicles are 10th scale and 8th scale (the larger the number is, the smaller the vehicle). Then there is electric and nitro. Most nitro vehicles are 8th scale, and there are classes that are insanely popular like the 8th scale nitro buggy class. You'll need to decided on NITRO or ELECTTRIC first. If you decided on electric - you'll need to know that the 2WD vehicles are more dependent on driver skill. Since there are only 2 wheels pushing the car around the track, you'll need to be more carful while driving otherwise you can get out of control easily. I'd say that 2WD vehicles are more difficult to drive. 2WD vehicles can be a cheaper way to get involved, and since they don't have center and fron diffs to worry about; less maintenance in the end. Next there is the 4x4 class. The 4x4's are much more stable vehicles and normally a bit easier to drive. 4x4's are also quicker in the turns due to their added stability and their front wheels pulling through tight turns and rough sections of track. I often recommend a 4x4 SC for a beginner. The 4x4's are a great start for a novice because of their stability and "sure footed-ness." Starter kits with incredible vehicle range from$400.00 to $550.00. If you're going to race, stick with popular name brands like Losi, Associated, Durango, Kyosho, etc. I'm very partial to the Losi TEN-SCTE. This truck is AMAZING right out of the box in RTR form. I also recommend stopping by one of our local RC tracks to observe, ask questions, and get involved so that you can make the choice that best suits you. If you're available, Speed World is hosting their weekly Short Course Wed. Night Quickie race tonight at 7pm. Stop by and we can help you with all the questions that you might have.

I could go further, but I'm sure you understand that it's important to make the correct decision. I've seen people get into this sport and jump right back out because they think that their 2WD SC truck is too hard to drive, and they do not have the money to jump into a different truck. THe 2wd SC classes are stacked, meaning that there are always about 10 people to race with. The 4x4 is next with a few less people, but the 4x4 are very fast. I can promise you this - once you get the RC that works best for you, you'll be having the time of your life...

Thanks for supporting RC, and have fun!!!

Back to top Go down
gj47479

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks guys for the reply!!! I mainly looking to race preferably in the 8 th scale class . What classes run here at all the local tracks so that I.have more options. Also wondering which 4x4 8 scales are best and do I buy rtr or kits. Hopefully I can buy something very soon! From what time to What time are races tonight
Back to top Go down
SpeedWorld Staff 2

SpeedWorld Staff 2

Location : SpeedWorld R/C Raceway @ 480 Talbot Avenue, Canutillo, Texas 79835

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Gino is a great advocate to RC racing here in El Paso. He is also one of if not the fastest guy on the track. As always, Gino gives VERY good advice.

Come by Speed World tonight, the doors will be open around 4PM and races begin 6:45PM. It is SHORT COURSE Wednesday. You will be able to get a good idea and intro to racing the most popular class going in all of RC right now; Short Course. If you are interested in 8th scale, I can show you both 8th scale NITRO Buggy and Truggy and 8th scale ELECTRIC Buggy and Truggy cars I have in the shop. Just ask for Ron. Look forward to meeting you.

Here is where we are located, see ya there hopefully.

SpeedWorld Staff 2 wrote:
SpeedWorld R/C Raceway @ 480 Talbot Avenue, Canutillo, Texas 79835

On Trans Mountain Road/Loop 375, which turns into "Talbot Avenue" heading east between I10 and Doniphan

Newbie getting into R/C, need help SPEEDWORLDLOCATION

SPEEDWORLD is a stones throw from the EL PASO OUTLET MALL.

Newbie getting into R/C, need help SPEEDWORLDLOCATION-1

The RED CIRCLE: is a "GUARD SHACK" which is GREEN and PURPLE. Turn in there when you are on TALBOT AVENUE to get to SPEEDWORLD. We have a sign right next to it "Speed World". You can't miss it! Very Happy

The RED RECTANGLE is SPEEDWORLD!!!!!!!!!

Newbie getting into R/C, need help SPEEDWORLDLOCATION2
Back to top Go down
Some87

Some87

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm

I said short course to start out because the class is huge and there is no chance of it dieing out any time soon. You will also be able to race 2 times a week at speed world where if you went 1/8 only once a week. Also 1/8 CAN cost $1000+. If your set on 1/8 look at team associated or team losi. I would say go rtr if if its your first rc. Also try and go electric, nitro is not a good thing to try and learn right away.
Back to top Go down
gj47479

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 pm

So the short course that's popular is the 10 th scale ? I'm prolly gonna check out Speed World tonight
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Short Course is very popular right now. It is also usually the largest class as well. At big local races, it's safe to say that there can be 30 entries of 2WD alone. Sometimes we even have C-mains. It's true that 8th scales will usually cost much more initially, so do take that into consideration. Another reason why SC racing is so popular is you can rub fenders and not get flipped over or thrown off flipping ending in broken parts. Bumping is a part of SC racing: to a point of course. This is why bashers and racers love it - it's on the edge of your seat, bumper rubbing fun.

We'll see you tonight...
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

I should've read all the replies - I will bring my 8th scales with me as well just in case you'd like to check them out. I run all electric stuff and I can walk you through it all. Ron will most likely have his 8th scale nitro buggy there too, so you'll get a well rounded view of what you'd like to do.
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Did you end up going last night? I didn't notice you there...
Back to top Go down
gj47479

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes I was there wearing s blue jacket gray cap . I was with a group of people ...you guys looked busy but I really enjoyed it and my friend and I would like to get into it!
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 pm

SHOOT MAN!!! You should've come over and talked. I'm never too busy to chat while I work. But I was unusually busy. I was running thicker shock oil last night and the cooler temps seemed to make it feel super thick, so I went several notches thinner and it payed off in the 4x4 class. Anyhow, well I hope you like what you saw. Looking forward to racing with you soon.
Back to top Go down
RP Bandit
RP Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 am

Best advice I can give you is "Don't listen to slow guys."
Back to top Go down
http://www.raceparty.net
bigwavedave33

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 am

RP Bandit wrote:
Best advice I can give you is "Don't listen to slow guys."

COME ON BOBBY! you can listen to them all day, just don't run the same tires they do!!! LOLOLOLOLOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.go-rcing.org
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 2:05 pm

First of all, Bobby has to come out and race first. C'mon Bobby get your stuff together and lets rub fenders...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into R/C, need help   Newbie getting into R/C, need help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie getting into R/C, need help
Page 1 of 1