Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AirborneHoosier

AirborneHoosier

question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck Empty
PostSubject: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:37 pm

I have a question about racing Short Course trucks at Hal's. I was wondering if there are limits on motor or battery size. I have tried to run my Team Associated SC104x4 out at Hal's. In my opinion it is just not heavy (and a few other things) enough for a true 1/8 scale track. I am convinced after reading up on some other forums that I want to go with a Losi for Hal's. I am going to be putting it together and I know there are some Losi SCTE guys out there that could help a Hoosier out.

I am going to get the roller, the upgrade kit. I am undecided on the ESC/MOTOR. I see a lot of racers putting a 1/8 scale setup in it and running 3s and even 4s. Well, I will be keeping my AE trucks, but I am excited to get this one built. So, with that, fire away and help me out with your knowledge guys, please Very Happy
Back to top Go down
todb

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 am

there are a handfull of SC10 4x4 running at hals but the majority run the Losi SCTE and I think the SCTE suits Hals perfectly although I run a Durango DESC410r. I dont think anyone runs 3 or 4 cells anymore but for a esc/motor setup the way to go is Tekin rx8/ 4000 or 4600 four pole motor with a good battery pack. This will get you on the right path to the front of the pack. Good tires are critical as well. The right body will help a ton more than people realize as well. I run the Hellcat from Method RC and it works wonders with very few air flow holes.
Back to top Go down
AirborneHoosier

AirborneHoosier

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 am

I hear ya. I have a new RX8 and a Tekin 4pole 4600 I just got for my SC104X4. I will maybe just use that, or try something else possibly? The truck just parachutes all day long. I have a flowtek body and it really didn't help much. I noticed the Losi was jumping and had little problems if any at all.
Back to top Go down
todb

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:31 am

I gave away a flotek body and bought the Method RC body cuz i hated the flotek lol. The durango is the lightest 4wheel short course and on hals track it is a handful sometimes but I got a handle on it finally. I think the weight of the losi helps keeps it stable at hals and that is important to putting the power down. Try the Losi and and have fun. That 4600 is hella fast but you gotts watch Lipo cutoff on the Losi's as the weight and the draw of the motor will drain the battery faster than you think. Be smooth as you can and it will last just fine
Back to top Go down
rangerjkb

rangerjkb

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 am

+1 on Todds comments. You'll be good with the Tekin in the Losi truck, probably turn limiter down to around 80 with right gearing and have lots of fun.
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

+2 on what Todd and Jason have said. The Losi's seem more stable on a rough track. This extra weight does have many advantages; and the advantages do outweigh the downsides. I have found that the weight of the Losi also helps in collisions. Usually the Losi will survive most side swipes or minor hits that result in the other car careening off in an unknown direction. I'm not too sure about the 4pole motor yet. I have driven the 4 pole and it's hella fast, but it did lack bottom end. It was almost like the motor was lacking torque and aggression. Once it wound up it was a terror. So your motor choice will depend on your driving style. I have stayed with the Novak Ballistic 4.5 linked to the RX8. I have had zero probs with this combo; it's as fast as any other combo I've seen. For a groomed tight track the AE would most likely hold the advantage. RC magazine has made this connection and we've seen the same here at the local tracks. Pluses are: Diffs are tunable, truck handles like an 8th scale, weight, cost. The Durango is amazing, and I have had to give my Losi everything I've got just to keep up with it at times. And the AE seems to be getting faster and faster. I believe that the AE guys are closing in on the set ups on these cars, and they are really starting to give the losi's a run for their money - even on these rougher tracks. The hardest I've ever pushed was this past weekend as Robert and the AE crew really pushed it from the buzzer. We had similar lap times and ran bumper to bumper for several of the laps. I hope this was helpful. I don't believe that jumping into a Losi will solve all your problems, because the other guys seem to be doing just fine. This way you can put your money to other uses.
Back to top Go down
todb

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 pm

everything Gino said is spot imo except about the 4 pole 4600. I have the tekin 550 5.5 motor and the 4 pole 4600. I run the 4600 cuz it more everything everywhere I want it, sometimes too much. Programming the esc helps with as well to make it more or less responsive as needed. With th heavier Losi I feel the 4600 or the 4000 is the way to go at Hals. Gear it right and program the esc correctly and it is very hard to be faster . In the end get the car motor/esc combo that want and ake the time to get it work like you want it. Out of the three ( Losi, AE, Durango) I think the Losi is the easiest to get to handle well. Of course I still love my durango!
Back to top Go down
AirborneHoosier

AirborneHoosier

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 am

The SCTE is just a better SC for a big 1/8 scale track. The SC10 is just too light. I even tried the aluminum center chassis and it just doesnt work for me. I need to sell some stuff b4 I get another RC though... lol!

SC10 4X4
SC10 4X4
SC10RS
TC6

Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 am

With the SC10 4x4 you just got to find the right setup. I dont even get to practice with any of my stuff just go and race with it. Faster is not always better. Some people cant grasp the concept..
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:52 am

Will - You're probably right. Although Danny and I worked on his set up all day last Sat. He is running the RX8 with the Pro 4, yet we updated his ESC with the Hotwire and altered many of his setting, but I wasn't all that impressed with the motor's get up and go. two things I can take a close look at is his battery and his radio settings. I did mess with a few of his radio settings, but that radio of his didn't allow more as much control as mine.
Back to top Go down
todb

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

You have seen how fast mine is, right. Rx8 with a 4600 and murfdogg power is very fast.
Back to top Go down
ginoford

ginoford

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 am

Also to answer the original question - you must run a 2 cell Lipo with a 550 can or a short course legal can like the Pro4 etc. Anything else ran at Hal's will be put into a different class.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck   question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question about LOSI SCTE Short Course Truck
Page 1 of 1