Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is here for RC Racers and bashers in El Paso, TX

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» like us on Facebook
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm by RP Bandit

» Race Party Race Schedule
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm by RP Bandit

» Methanol in El Paso
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am by MikeT

» Hal's Tale of Two Cities race May 31st
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm by ginoford

» Cheaper, Better Fuel
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm by RP Bandit

» Hal's Points Series begins THIS WEEKEND
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am by ginoford

» Raceparty.net is Live again!
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 pm by RP Bandit

» WTB a 13.5 motor
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm by Argyle43

» Now We Are Getting Somewhere!
Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am by RP Bandit

Photobucket
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Photobucket
Most Viewed Topics
Welcome to ElPasoRC.com/Forum Rules
S.W.R.R.C. Club meeting for 2012 Comp Season
Desert Downs Raceway
RACING AT RACEPARTY
Slash 4x4/SC 4x4
Speed World September Schedule
BIGWAVE's perpetual for sale post
sc10 4x4 newbie
Attention On Road Racers !!!!!!
new Krag track update

Nitro Motors

Go down 
+2
ExcelMarketTX
alexortega2003
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alexortega2003

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Not a lot of us run nitro, or at least the guys that run nitro arent here browsing the forum. I'll try my best to get as many racers as possible from hals to join this forum, so they can be in touch with the El Paso RC community.

Well, for who ever runs nitro, i have a couple of tips that you need to know about nitro motors. Just like eletric motors, there are temps to follow.

First, a nitro motor should be running in the range of 180*F to 240*F
You can go as high as 250*F in times, but once you pass that mark, you are in problems. No motor should be ran at more than 250.
I would say that the perfect temp for a motor is somewhere in the range of 210*F to 230*F
Also, as per other articles based of off pro drivers, the perfect temp where a motor gives out its better performance, is 220*F.
I wouldnt really recommend running a motor at less than 180*F since it is actually hurting it because its not hot enough to let all the parts move freely. Once you pass 180*F thats when the motor has the best lubrication out of the nitro gas and thats when the metal parts inside the motor has less friction.

Well, as for tuning, ill look for some videos for tuning, because it is actually a little bit complicated to explain it.

But hopefully a gave some tips for the temps of the motor, which i would say is one of the most important thing that you need to know in nitro motors.

And trust me, you do want to follow this guide lines, because you will either end up with a worn out uncopressed motor or a broken motor.

If you have any questions, go ahead and post them, so we can discuss them, and im sure Hector can also help us with this info.

And Hector, if im wrong on something, please let me know so that i can go ahead and correct it.
Back to top Go down
ExcelMarketTX
Admin
ExcelMarketTX

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

That's some great info Alex Exclamation Alex what should a buyer looking at a used nitro look out for?
Back to top Go down
http://ChooseExcel.com
alexortega2003

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 pm

check compression, thats the first thing you need to see on a motor, and it would be good to ask how many gallons there is on the motor. Also, you need to see the condition of the motor itself. You can clearly see scratches on the head when it has a lot of use.
Back to top Go down
nmdesertracer

nmdesertracer

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Also a good investment is a engine heater! http://www.competitionheat.com/Home_Page.html .. You need to tune your engine when your chassis and engine are fully heated. I see some people tuning right when they start there buggies up. You need to run the buggy for atleast 3 minutes before starting to adjust anything. Also adjust the engine with the body on the car. Also old school method of testing if your engines heat is by getting dab of spit on the top of the engine it should take 4-5 seconds to boil off. On the low end get a pair of pliers and squeeze the fuel line tube it should take 4-5 seconds to cutout any faster your to lean.

When you hear people say the engine needs a pinch that usually means its on its last leg.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NMdesertracer?feature=mhw4
rangerjkb

rangerjkb

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:02 pm

+1 on the comp heater, Eric has proven its value of preheating an engine and it truly works. When tuning follow your engine break in guide from the manufacturer then head to the track for final adjustments. It's always good to tune the high end first, then move to the low end paying special attention to your exhaust smoke (plenty of smoke equals good lubrication and a richer fuel setting). When you adjust to a point that your motor is running with an extremely high pitch with no smoke, you're at a lean setting and will need to be richened to ensure not to cause damage to your engine. At a lean meeting you'll also see an unreasonably high temp for your engine make/model.
Great thread started here and hope its helpful to all.
Back to top Go down
jason.wible

jason.wible

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: also    Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:46 am

you can pick up a heat gun for around 15 bucks it works almost as good but you need to consitantley check the temp and get the motor around 180 before starting it but take your time warming it to that temp and also to help preserve your motors you will want to alwaysput the engine at bottom dead center as soon as you are done running it. also at the end of the day pull your glow plug and put a little bit of oil in the hole little things like that will help your engine last
Back to top Go down
AirborneHoosier

AirborneHoosier

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 am

The audio isn't the greatest, but Tebo really helped me out with these vid's. Pass it on, knowledge is power. Old Pic of Tebo (O'Donnell days) and Hoosier (Mugen Days lol). But, these tuning vids are VERY VERY helpful.

PART 1 LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzcWLKKU0I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

PART 2 LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lM_BOHHEvo&feature=related

Nitro Motors 250181_1954731840495_1608685360_2019523_7303665_n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nitro Motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nitro Motors   Nitro Motors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nitro Motors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: El Paso RC :: Help/Tech :: Nitro-
Jump to: